Wednesday 13 May 2015

My entertainment industry origins

Posted by Unknown at 12:16

When I was 14 my family and I went to visit my mom's family in California, like we do almost every year. I was hanging out with my cousin, she introduced me to ANIME.
Changed my life, it really did. 
I didn't think I'd like it, I thought, 'animation? I'm too old for that.' Thankfully she put on an episode of 'Full Metal Alchemist' and I was hooked. I became obsessed. 
Ireland is a little behind in such culture so I stocked up while in the US. Then the internet was my source to Japanese anime. I've spent thousands of pounds on getting manga imported from america, CD's imported from Japan, posters and action figures. I am an otaku. 
My love for anime spread to a love of Japan which opened up live action movies and Japanese TV dramas and movies. It's actually though the Japanese film industry that I discovered my true passion for film. I didn't know exactly what part I wanted to play, just that I wanted to be in the game. 
My dream is to one day gain enough experience and connections to work on Japanese movies and Shows, to live in Japan!

I've been working in the film industry for 3 years now, in that time I've worked on;
2 seasons of Game of Thrones (3 &5)
Dracula Untold
Wipers Times
Starred Up
Truth Commissioner 
Unhappy endings
Good Boy
Empire State 
and a bunch of other shorts and commercials.

My passion for entertainment drove me into the Industry as soon as I finished school. My parents wanted me to go to University but I decided to take my chances- they supported me, because they're awesome.
And although my job is long hours, with exhausting work and constant running around- I still love it because I get to be apart of making movies and TV shows that millions of people will see and enjoy, okay not all the time (dracula untold, so shit), but it's still fun to see how a film comes together, the insane amount of planning and decisions to be made and I get to meet some very cool actresses, actors, Directors and designers, which is pretty cool!
I figured most people who worked in this industry would feel the same, would love movies like I do, would watch everything new to hit the screens and keep up to date on all the new TV series to come out. But sadly thats just not true.
There are 14 people in my department and none of them watch much of anything. In fact anytime something is mentioned i've already watched it, because it's my passion, and now I'm actually getting a reputation for being of movie dork! People laugh at how much I watch, and yes- I watch a lot.
BUT THEY WATCH NOTHING WHICH IS JUST WRONG!
Who am I meant to talk to about all the stuff!?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

GO TEAM PARKS! Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei